Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fun with Reality TV...

HQ for Antique Archeology... aka History Channel's American Pickers

On our adventure back to our home base where I work, we decided to visit Le Clare, IA. It is the home of one of our favorite TV shows, American Pickers. It is just one of the many adventures you can have on the cheap with your family on the road. 

One of the things I remember after starting my career was a comment made by an old friend named Max. Max was the guy who was just an older version of me. He was a geek, but with entrepreneurial spirit. He is the guy who got me into Amway (an old long story) and taught me how to chase dreams and my own unlimited potential if I just tried hard enough.

He had a dream of living in one of those Prevost Coaches and traveling the country. He could then teach his boys about history up in person. When he needed to teach about the Civil War, he would just point the coach in the direction of some of the great battlefields and away he would go. That was a dream. I shared that dream a little on my own terms.



I love to travel and the freedom of the open roads. I think that is why I like being a consultant. You get to visit new places and see many new things instead of being stuck in one place all your life. While, at the time I would never imagine having four kids, I wanted to fly to Europe and travel the country on my own terms without worry about my next paycheck.

Now, we get to do these things. While yes, I do have a job and must work those hours during the week, I definitely have much more mobility to hitch up and see the country. On our way back from South Dakota, we got the opportunity to experience something that we like to watch on TV. For the kids, it was like putting flesh on the bones in their imagination. TV and the people in it could be real. They could see and touch the things that people only talk about.

That is the real dream. To bring experiences and enriching our lives. I would rather have experiences than all the riches. That is something anybody can do.



1 comment:

  1. I am looking into doing RVing fulltime with my kids. I am single mother & I was wondering about the Amway business. Is it hard to sell the products rving?

    ReplyDelete