Monday, October 8, 2012

A visit to Wall Drug....


I remember from my days in college having to review the business case for Wall Drug. I thought the history and the marketing genius of this family was representative of the entrepreneurial spirit I had. Being able to bring a successful and booming business in the middle of no where was very inspiring.

Move forward to our vacation, Wall Drug was definitely a stop on my 'to do' list. We arrived late in the evening and Wall Drug was closed. They close at 7 PM for those interested in stopping by. No matter, we found a pub across the street and ordered Pizza. The little ones where anxious to let some energy out and Jennifer and I had hit our limit of road travel. We just wanted something to eat and find a place to sleep.

While we waited for our food, we called around for RV Parks. Worst case, we would sleep at a Walmart or Flying J and hit the road after having breakfast at Wall Drug. Who could pass up five cent coffee? We were happy to find a RV park just three blocks from Wall Drug. After dinner, we parked our camper, hooked up, and went right to sleep. Special thanks to Good Sam Club and Roadside America which provided nice discounts for our stay that evening.

Early in the morning, we sprang into gear and headed to Wall Drug. I was amazed at all the original western art work they had everywhere. The breakfast buffet was reasonable and not too expensive. Coffee was still a nickel and they had plenty of free ice cold water. The big draw was the shopping and activities they had available for the family.

We walked through the shops, played games, and bought some fun mementos. I have always wanted a sterling silver turquoise ring and even found one my size. I was very happy with my purchase and the kids walked away with souvenirs and plenty of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment