Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One of those rainy days...

You know it is one of those rainy days....

On those rainy days, sometimes camping out and
watching a movie is the best thing you can do


The kids are rambunctious and full of energy. Being trapped in the camper, our home, 'Arrakus' to us, tests the limits of controlled chaos. I fully expected Jen's hair to be completely white, and Dos bouncing off the walls from the sheer confinement.

I was greeted with none of that. Jen and Jr. were on the couch reading a book together. Tayla ("T-Rex") was playing with her naked barbies. Don't ask me why they are naked. Rest assured that if you buy this child a Barbie, it will inevitably end up naked. I think, clothes on these figures are just extra wrapping to her. Either way, she was having a great time playing with them.

Jen had stewed chicken on the stove cooking away while I sat and unwind. Uno and Dos were out making new friends and riding their bikes. The weather had been clear for just a short hour and they took full advantage of getting on the bikes and 'vamoosing' away.

Funny thing these kids. They were so worried about not having friends, or being able to make new friends. But not a week goes by and they have made numerous new friends and pen-pals. Is it still called pen-pals when they just email each other? I digress.

I remember the fears of family members that our kids were grow up awkward. They were afraid are children would turn into the 'social pariah' of weirdness. Rest assured, my kids are socially healthy, have tons of interests, and can make friends at a drop of the hat. I challenge the notion to say my kids are better at making friends that 'normal' kids. You see, my kids don't have a social ladder to climb. My kids don't have to have approval from others in order to fit in a specific pecking order. My kids are kids, and can be just that. My kids are not pressured to fit into a specified peer group. My kids are 'free range....'

Free range? Doesn't that sound ultra hip and veggie? Oh dear, does that mean I am a hippy? Well, so far I don't dress like one, I still like to hunt, shoot guns, and guns shows are second or third most important events to attend other than church and evening supper. But yes, I am a little free range I guess. I am happy my kids are home schooled, and I am happy my kids are free to explore the world instead of confined to a specific geographic location. Just this last month, you would be amazed if you could see what I see in my kids eyes. It is like a world is unlocked to them. They have explored, done things, and seen many new things that they would never had a chance to see without this opportunity to be with me on the road.


1 comment:

  1. O' those dreaded rainy days! In our little home my kids can be found on their lap tops on days like those. Most may be in shock that I let my children have the freedom to play on their computer as long as they want, but as long as they are doing educational fun, I don't mind ;)
    their favorite site is Learninggamesforkids.com!
    Happy Roadschooling from a fellow roadschooler ~Keri

    ReplyDelete