Saturday, August 4, 2012

It's the little things


It wasn't too long after getting my new camper when things started falling apart. Don't get me wrong, I still love the lifestyle. In my mind, I just want things to be perfect. Don't know why I expect that, maybe when you spend the money for a shiny new thing, you just want this to stay nice for a while. Thanks to my step-mom Lorelei for imprinting this on me during my teenage years.

As you can see in the photo above, the gas arm and hinge popped off the outside kitchen door. Right now, I am propping the door open with a shower curtain rod that I purchased from Walmart. It works, but less than ideal. Maybe it is God telling me that as far as I travel, and important I think I am, I am still a redneck.

In an earlier post, I wrote about how frustrated I got over a brand new computer not working that I had purchased for my wife to aid in road schooling. You just have to appreciate the lessons God gives us. This lesson learned yesterday played out to lesson applied that night. 

I am in the middle of an implementation for my client site. They have two hospitals going live and this by far is the most stressful times. It is a month straight working with little to no time off. Sure the overtime is a huge blessing, and will be well used to help pay off the last of our debt, but it runs you down something fierce. With my family in tow, having 'down time' really isn't an option. This could be a recipe for disaster. God used that computer fiasco to temper me for the evening.

More things broke. Piva, our family cat decided to lounge in between the slide out and trim for one side of the kids bunk room. My oldest daughter was worried about her being there and attempted to fetch her down. In doing so, she reached for the trim piece to give her a little support. As you can imagine, the entire trim piece came completely off. Our new camper is not so new anymore.

Instead of getting angry, I decided to inspect it. I know that material cannot be super sturdy and strong for this camper to be light enough to be pulled by a standard truck. They made it that way so that people could enjoy the larger campers like the fifth wheels without having to purchase a new truck to handle the load. It is an easy fix. I could do it my self. I could use gorilla glue epoxy and adhere it back to the original surface and you will not know that there was ever a problem. 

I debated fixing it myself. Instead I chose to get in touch with our RV dealer who is actually close by. We were planning to get the gas arm replaced with lower strength ones (the cause of our problem). Since I was going to pay for them to come out (the issue is covered under warranty), I might as well have them come out and professionally repair this as well. Jen will call today to work out the details. In the event it is not covered, I will fix it. 

What I learned is that, it is most important to teach the kids to respect and treat this camper with care. Thinking before acting is going to be important. That said, I know from reading other blogs that campers are a luxury, they are not perfect. They have a purpose to serve and while you may try to make it perfect, in the end, you sacrifice quality for weight reduction.

The biggest plus from this all, is that the family is together. I have noticed some important changes in the last two weeks. We are closer both physically, spiritually, and emotionally together. We cannot run and hide in our rooms, or get involved in too many other distractions in the RV. What a blessing that is. We keep the important stuff, important! Everything else doesn't matter
.

No comments:

Post a Comment