Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chores and minions

T-Rex showing us she can clean like the bigger minions

Chores and the family, it is essential in keeping Arrakis orderly but it does a whole lot more than that. Have you ever met anyone who couldn't boil water, cook a decent meal, or simply forgot to learn basic life skills before reaching adult hood? I know countless examples from my college days. From simple meals such as Ramen Noodles to balancing a check book, there are people who just don't know.

That scares me quite frankly. At the same time, I remember resenting some of the chores I had when growing up. I remember having to push mow a half acre lawn at least once, maybe twice a week during the summer. I remember also having to weed-eat the entire thing. What was worse, there had to be nice straight lines. No round about in a circle mowing which is easy and keeps you going one direction. Nay, Nay... a nice pristine yard or nothing at all.

Want your own car? Get a job!

Got the job? Great, get your own insurance!

Mine was never this cool....


On down the rabbit hole I go. Teenager to responsibility and self sufficiency was a major piece of the 'raising' I got. Not that it was all bad. I learned how to do things for myself. I had to solve problems. I had to learn to manage money, pay bills, and take care of myself. If my car broke down, I had to buy my own parts. At times, my dad or a friend would assist me in repairs, but the majority of the time, I had to do my own work. I remember replacing the front grill and nose panel on my '78 Pontiac Grand Prix. It didn't match in color, but it looked better than the broken one it had when I bought it for $1000. I put it on myself. The grin on my face, and the feeling of accomplishment was immense.

So in the Barnes family, everybody pitches in. We all participate in getting things done. Basic cleaning to maintenance and repair. We all have our jobs to do. This helps us because it helps the family continue. You could call it 'survive' or better yet 'thrive'. We all are better off by doing the chores. It provides teaching moments, independent skills, and many other life lessons. Think of a goldfish and toilet situation. For us, Hamster and Air Conditioner... long story.

So, here is my list of why chores are important for family life on the road...


  • A person who enters the real world with life skills will have a far easier time living, working, and dealing with others.
  • Chores teach basic discipline.
  • Simple chores around the house teach invaluable things such as time management, prioritization, and organization.
  • We are a family, and the chores keep the family moving ahead and thus children learn that everyone has a part that makes the family stronger.
  • Staves off 'self-entitlement'. Parents are not slaves to the children and we don't want our children to think the 'world' owes them something. If they want it, go out and work for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment