Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Spice and Bikes


Jen made a new addition to the home. Spice Racks! As you may well know, RV's/Campers are not known for their storage space. There are countless blog posts I have read who have made the decision to live full time on the road and their number one complaint is organization and storage space. Jen and I have thought creatively, took several trips to big box stores, and have start making the camper our home.

One of the major improvements has been push lights for the kids at night. Instead of struggling to reach up to flip the switch for the over head lights, they can simply push on the dome tap lights to give them enough light to make it to the bathroom and back. Another addition is hooks. We got that inspiration from our dear friend Dee Grom. She taught us way back in Tulsa, the wonders of hanging hooks to keep what could be a mess, much more manageable. 

With the modern inventions of sticky backed wall hanging, we are using the 3M Command products and a Velcro variety we found at Walmart to hang our tap lights and anything essential on the walls. Jen found these lightweight spice racks to hang on the wall. We are in pursuit of a larger one for the odd size spices she likes to use for seasoning. Instead of taking up space on the counter or in the cabinets, this limited space can be used for the essential items.

I worked twelve hours today. With a long drive back to the camper, my mouth began to water as I was greeted with the smell of flank steak on the grill to be finished off in the skillet and made into fajita style steak. Cooked with peppers, and onions, add in a dash of salsa, and the dinner made for a welcome ending of my day.

The gruesome twosome's (AKA minions two and three, AKA the twins's) birthday is next Sunday. Jen decided that it was time to buy them new bikes. They had outgrown their old ones, and the chain on JJ's bike had broke. For an early birthday present, Jen bought them two very cool bikes with security locks to keep them attached to the camper when they are not using them. We never had bikes this cool when I was a kid.

My last 'cool' bike I had when I was a kid got stolen. It was found at the elementary school I attended slipped over a fire man pole. I don't know how they did it, but to my dismay, they had to cut it in order to get the bike free. Thus, expensive bike, my cool bike, lost to unknown criminals out to make mischief. I am happy that I can give my kids a bike that they can love as much as I did at their age.

Jayelle (minion numero uno), also got a bike. Sure, it slightly diminishes the joy of getting a bike for your birthday, but Jen and I plan a couple more gifts for the twins. The caveat, was that Uno would only get a 'normal' bike while the dynamic Duo (I have endless names for them), get more high end fancy bikes. At first, I wasn't a fan of this idea. Ultimately, I see the wisdom in it. Jayelle didn't bring her bike and was feeling left out. Her razor scooter isn't conducive to the surroundings. Having a bike, will allow her to be a part of the gaggle of kids roaming the park and have fun. It goes to show the heart of the Duo that they wanted her to have a bike too. Gotta love these kids!






No comments:

Post a Comment