Monday, August 27, 2012

On To Indy...

Caught the Navteq Road-mapping vehicle
as we were leaving Michigan City and heading to Indy

Friday it was our move day and why we really haven't been able to blog much the last couple of days. We got up, ate breakfast and then it was off to the races getting the campsite cleaned up, Arrakis ready to move, and four scurrying minions who resisted our efforts to participate in our pack and move operation.

The one thing I have to say is that Indianapolis is MUCH hotter than it was in Michigan City. Maybe it was the better shade, the lake effect, or just simply cooler up north, but it noticeably hotter the closer we got to Central Indiana. The kids had fun on the move. The gruesome twosome road with me as I hauled Arrakis and our tower of snakes. Jen, Uno, and T-Rex followed along carrying everything we could stuff in the van to make Arrakis easier to haul. Our plan worked.

Last visit to the Indiana Dunes


After a few potty stops, we arrived at our location. At first blush, Indy KOA is a pretty nice camp. Well planned out, good playground, a nice game room and pavilion. They also have fun activities such as hay rides, root beer floats, and breakfast available. The down side you may ask? Internet! OMG! It is non existent. Worse, they only allow one computer for an hour a day. Sorry charlie, that is not going to work for us. If you advertise free WiFi, I think you should also post your draconian restrictions. Let's be real, that is probably all the older RV crowd needs to get by. I am sure, if I was simply vacationing, that would also be fine. It might even seem more than enough for the older generation of RV'ers visiting here. But for us... I say Nay,Nay!

<warning.. rant!>

So, I am struggling with what to do. You see, we cannot even connect to the wireless at our campsite. Not even with our smartphones. I called the office and they said they couldn't do anything for us for the next week or so (after Labor Day). Then, we might be able to move. Should I be upset? Maybe not. Should I ask for some money back because of my lack of connectivity? Probably not since they are providing the wireless for free (with restrictions).

Saturday, it was so hot we decided to go for milkshakes, 
Dos chose milk mustaches

So I guess, I am going to break down and buy yet another pay as you go 4G plan. I had clear for over a year and the service was spotty. Some days it worked great and other days you were left in the wind. Their customer support is terrible and think that by repeating everything you say back to you is the end all of good customer service. Worse yet is if the hardware goes out on you. I have had this happened to me twice. They expect you to buy new equipment and have you send your old in. If they find it defective, they MAY reimburse you the cost of the new equipment. 

It took me forever to get my point across that I would not be paying for faulty equipment again, and that they needed to replace the equipment at no cost. Little did I know that they lied. Replaced the equipment, and charged me. As soon as I saw the charge come across, I threatened to drop their service, and they promptly dropped the charge. As you can see, I am not a fan and no longer use their service. The good or bad part of this is that Clear doesn't have service near our campsite.

This leads me to finding another solution, having to buy someone else's equipment and pay an exorbitant rate for wireless service. Such is life. Don't know if there is a better solution out there. I have been looking and really don't feel that I have found my answer.

<end of rant!> Well for now... don't get me started on our little warning we received about our kids..


Outside of my negative feedback about the KOA's wireless. The camp site is really nice. It is set beside a quiet creek. I believe we have the most shade you can get at the park. It feels ten to fifteen degrees cooler under awning and campground. I actually noticed that as I was coming in from a visit with my brother and his family. 
Amish made Holsters... Really?

My brother lives in Columbus, IN. Not too far from where we were staying. Earlier Saturday, my brother and I visited the Indy1500. It is a huge gun show in the Indianapolis area. There were lots of dealers. Some I recognized from the gun shows closer to Evansville. There seems to be a regular group of dealers that travel the shows to sell guns, accessories, and supplies. Just like the Evansville shows, the prices of guns were higher than they should be. You have to pay $12 to get into the show, see overpriced merchandise, and pay through the nose for concessions. Yet, every yahoo comes out and visits. I even saw a Congressman out there shaking hands.

Sunday we visited on the recommendation of our friends from Calvary Chapel Sunset Coast to visit Horizon's Christian Fellowship. They are a Calvary Chapel Church in the Indy area that have a couple of campuses, have a bible college, and really seem to be doing a good work in the area. We were greeted warmly, helped getting our kids to their classes, and Jen and I enjoyed a great service and challenged Jen and I about things in our life that God is trying to use teach us about trusting him and following his will.
After service, we ate at a local Mexican restaurant that I didn't feel was that spectacular. It was enjoyable, quiet for a Sunday afternoon, and provided everyone with enough choices, that even a picky eater was somewhat satisfied. After lunch we headed to my brother's house for a afternoon visit and dinner.

Pajamas...check! Movie Time!

It was a nice visit. Our kids were entertained by my brother's family dogs, a crazy zombie film on Netflix, and great food. My brother made some awesome hamburgers, with a side of fresh vegetables, yellow watermelon, and a Barnes's staple of Kraft Shells and Cheese. After seeing my family, getting a little out of hand, and Jen and I get into a little tiff in front of my brother and his wife, I knew we were just exhausted for the day and time to head back to Arrakis. 

We all unloaded, got into our pajamas, and snuggled together to watch a movie. Jen had decided to hit the hay early. We watched a great film called 'Tho none shall follow." It was a battle of course because the kids wanted to watch the Lorax for the umpteenth billionth time. I resisted. In the end, they all liked the movie, it had a great message, and I tucked them in to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment