Friday, August 10, 2012

Art and History Night

The Board Game of Se-net


Tonight turned into Art History night...

We started the evening with chili on the stove and an evening of sharing. Kids were in rare form for sure. We had a stressful day. Tonight we planned a simple evening filled with quiet times of reading, or other less involved activities.

Jen had to deal with our 'black pyramid' and had to flush the tank again. I had a brutal day answering the phone and fixing user issues. I think the quiet time was much needed as I really didn't want to have a lot of noise in the background. Spend a day in a cramped room surrounded by unhappy folks and dealing with critical issues does that to you.

I started the book 'Midnight in the garden of good and evil' and Momma-San went to bed early leaving me with a disquieted and rambunctious group of minions. No problem I thought. My book will have to wait. Uno asked for a game of Se-net. She is enthralled with everything Egyptian. She got this really cool book with fold outs and activities that she bought from her trip to the Museum in Chicago.

She told me the rules, we played. It was surprisingly fun. Much like a mix of chess, Othello, and 'Sorry!' all rolled into one. I like playing board games, the problem with two person games is that everyone else wants to play. Trying to keep T-Rex, the most annoyed minion who wanted to play, occupied was a tough job.

I haven't sketched in years, this was my result


That is when we turned to art. T-Rex was satisfied coloring in her new coloring book. Uno and Dos wanted me to teach them how to draw. We spent the next hour and a half working on drawing the human head and how to sketch things so that they eventually come out the way they wanted to.
In the end, all off to bed. I settled the minions down with a little struggle, and I am off to bed.

1 comment: