Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A family dinner, a day of unfortunate events

Kids setup the picnic table for a great summer dinner

Today was a tough day...

From the very start of the day, it started to rain. This made travel to my new work location difficult having to almost travel by the Force due to the heavy rain, crazy traffic, and newness to the area. Luckily, with my Waze App loaded on my iPhone, I was able to get turn by turn navigation and avoid some costly delays. Even with the bad weather, I was able to make good time and arrive to my new client site ready to work.

As with any client, there are politics and culture. I have to say that the culture at my new client location is the most difficult I have experienced in recent past. It seems that there are those who are the 'culture police' to make sure that everyone is following 'the policy.' So, I was a little put back by the change in scenery. Especially with worrying about every step I make could lead to someone sending some email to higher ups because of something I may have done. 

Use of headphones... Nope
Eating at your desk...Nope
Use of cellphone... Only in approved areas
Texting.... Nay, Nay!

Jen kicking back to enjoy a book after her tough day


I am a take charge kind of guy. You give me something, I get it done. I am diligent, hard working, and work fast. Part of that is due to my ability to focus a midst distractions. One of my tools is the use of headphones. Being able to listen to music or podcasts in the background allows me to drown out the drivel around me. So, the culture in this location will test my wits and my ability to focus. Change is always hard.

Jen had her own list of struggles today. For one, our oldest was falling behind in her schoolwork and only putting in minimal effort. That is a struggle with homeschooling. The more 'open' environment, can lead to laziness. It is important to identify the struggle, offer encouragement, and if necessary enforce proper habits so that they can succeed. Homeschooling is a pleasure for sure, but these struggles can be daunting. You don't want your children to fall behind. You want to make sure they are making steady progress. At times,  you have to reset, re-evaluate, and make a course correction. Jen, the trooper and mom-extraordinaire, had to take a stronger stance than usual, and Uno followed suit.

On top of that, we had another camper misadventure. We forgot to batten down the hatches so to speak and left the outdoor kitchen door lifted up. This has never been a problem in the past. I guess I say that a lot since we are still inexperienced as full timers. Water seemed to fly sideways and collect on top of the counter in the outdoor kitchen. It then flowed underneath and got the floor wet in the minion's bunk room. So Jen battled getting all the water up, closing the outdoor door (getting soaked in the process), and getting all the wet things dry. We had to go out and get a wet dry vac to help finish the job and using fans to help finish drying the carpet. 

As you can tell, both Jen and I were in foul moods by the evening. Instead of cooking for ourselves, we got take out Chinese and had a lovely evening at the picnic table. The weather was much cooler due to the rain and quite enjoyable. We finished dinner, kids biked, and Jen and I grabbed books, our zero gravity chairs, and set ourselves to a quiet evening. This lasted a while until the swarms of mosquitoes decided to descend to our location. Packing up the books, T-Rex, and a few odds and ends, we headed to the camper. We finished the evening watching '1911', a historical movie about the Chinese Revolution starring Jackie Chan. Tomorrow, will be a better day, at least we hope it to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment