Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A trip down Zaharakos lane

Fun filled day in Columbus, IN and visiting Zaharakos Ice Cream Shop

This weekend was filled with rain and fun. While the hurricane down south prompted a much needed thunderstorm in our area, we had to get a little creative in keeping our minions at bay. Most of the time, we spent sequestered in our home on wheels. There were a few stints where we were able to unleash the kids and have them ride bikes and make their rounds of the RV park.

Today, we got to visit my brother and his family for Labor Day. Having spent the morning conversing with our neighbor about the drag races getting rained out, and that they were moving on Tuesday, we traded addresses and said our good byes. Texting back and forth with my brother and we had plans for the afternoon. I was to have lunch with my brother and one of his friends while Jen and the kids along with my brother's wife and daughter would head downtown to Columbus for fun.

fully functional auto play pipe organ circa 1909


Columbus is really growing on me. The downtown area has lots of fun shops, and things for the kids to do. They even have an indoor play area. What blew me away was the free wifi. Come on, FREE WIFI. I guess being so starved at our camp ground has made me appreciate wireless connectivity especially when I forgot to lock down data traffic on my phone and already hit 65% of my data plan for the month. Thanks ATT, love ya! Now, I either will just use my phone as normal and pay the $10 hit for overage or just tightly control my access. With my job, more than likely it will be paying the $10 extra for overage.

I realized my problem, I tried to download some favorite podcasts while waiting to pick up pizza from Puccini's Pizza in downtown Columbus. When they told us that our pizza was done, I forgot to cancel the un-downloaded podcasts. Needless to say, wham! I just used a bunch of data traffic. Lesson learned I guess.

Looks like T-Rex enjoyed her treat


Lunch was great. Good to hang with my brother and reconnect. Meeting his friend for the second time (he was my brother's best man) was fun. I can see why he and my brother get along. We ate at Hooters. Not my favorite joint but I enjoyed wings, the good conversation, and the opportunity to get out after being shut in by the rain. On the way home, I spotted a smoke shop. After a few near death experiences after forcibly asking my brother to make the stop, I was greeted with the sweet aroma of Cavendish and vanilla.... smelly happiness for sure.

I forgot my pipes at home when we made the trip. I am not a big smoker, but at times, I like to smoke a pipe and kick back. I got my friend into smoking pipes a while back. I think I have created a monster as his pipe collection has surpassed mine. He and I enjoyed pipe smoking, fedora hats, and hanging out. I think our hunting trips last year were more about getting out to smoke and hang out than deer hunting. Needless to say, I missed my pipe.

A Ben Wade Estate Pipe


I found a great deal on a estate pipe. I have always wanted one. They are bigger, usually hand carved and look awesome to look at. More importantly, they are well made. I instantly fell in love with one and after seeing the price, I didn't hesitate. I picked up the pipe, some necessities such as pipe cleaners, and picked up some great smelling pipe tobacco to boot.

After eating dinner and watching the Hunger Games with my brother's family, we headed back to Arrakis. It was a fun, relaxing weekend. I got to enjoy time with the family, spend time with my brother, and I got a pipe to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment