Wednesday, September 12, 2012

New friends and frozen mice


You really meet the best sort of people out on the road.  Today I had the privilege of meeting another homeschool family that is also road schooling at my rv park.  They have a blog as well, guess I will have to look them up.  I had a good time talking to the mom, Sara, and Tres hit it off with the son who was about his age.  This is a tremendous thing, because Tres has the hardest time of all of our children with making friends.

Well, if you have been around homeschoolers very often, you might know about the wild and crazy things that happen in the name of education, especially science education.  And when you get several homeschoolers together, it only multiplies.

I met this new family this morning after our kids met at the playground.  Conversation turned to pets, and the son wanted to see our snakes.  So I told him that if he wanted to see them, it needed to be now, because later this afternoon was snake feeding day, and then the snakes would need time to digest.  To most people, this would bring about squeals of revulsion, but to a homeschooler, this is a fascinating learning opportunity.  So, I extended an invitation for them to view the feeding later in the afternoon, which they graciously accepted.

At 3:00, I had the snake cages lined up outside my rv and mice thawed. I use frozen mice that we buy from the pet store, and I thaw them with hot water.  On the road, I usually feed snakes outside so I have more space.  All the children were fascinated to see how snakes eat.  It is really amazing at just how large a snake's mouth can become.

Then we turned to more typical homeschool conversation of curriculum and learning styles.  I am so encouraged to meet this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment